The 30-98 was a passenger car produced by Vauxhall 1913-1915 and 1919-1927. Enthusiasts Since the model is also known by the code of the frame, the E-Type.
It is considered one of the most famous and successful British sports cars, and is one of the latest models of cars representing the Edwardian age.
It was available in three body styles, two four seater torpedo and coupe. The engine was installed before, while the traction was back.
The first 30-98 was built under the guidance of a car salesman and race car driver Joseph Higginson. The 30-98 was not, however, a competition model, but a fast torpedo. Prior to delivery to customers, the specimens were tested by Vauxhall.
The frame of 30-98 derived from that of Prince Henry. Unlike the latter, the 30-98, however, had a different calender. For the engine, the designer of 30-98, Laurence Pomeroy, taken as the base engine in the Prince Henry and I changed the bore and the crankshaft.
From 1913 to 1915, ie prior to the outbreak of the First World War, were produced only 13 examples of 30-98, who were all destined to drivers selected. The last specimen was assembled instead reserved for Karslake Kent, managing director of Vauxhall. The production then resumed in 1919, a conflict that ended. In fact, in time of war the British car industry was converted into war supplies.
The name may derive from the 30-98 engine power. It was in fact 30hp at 1,000 rpm and 98hp at 3,000 rpm. Another explanation of the origin of the name is due to the measures and stroke, which correspond, respectively, to 30 mm and 98 mm.
When production resumed in 1919, the 30-98 was available as an option (50 pound) the electric starter, which was however offered as standard on 25hp. They were, however, available as standard on the 30-98, the electric lights, the speedometer and the spare tire. Customers could choose between a polished aluminum hood and a hood painted in body color. In 1922 the electric lights became six and equipment included a more complete instrument panel as well as an electric horn. Since 1927, the 30-98 was also included in adjustable individual seats, the spoked wheels, two spare wheels and a windshield wiper.
The body was the standard torpedo Velox four places. Although 30-98 was light and elegant, the rear seat passengers sit very comfortably because of the scarcity of space. The catalog of 1920 also included the Velox coupe, which was characterized by having a seat for the driver, who was separated from those of the other passengers. The car body was quite resistant although for the implementation of the frame had been used in the wood. The structure, however, was relatively light, especially through the use of quoted material. In 1924 he was introduced version Wensum, which was characterized by having a tail shaped like a ship. This style was relatively popular in the mid-twenties. The 30-98 body with this car, however, were not assembled on the same production lines of Velox.
The first type of engine installed, which had as an identifying symbol "E", derived from the engine of Prince Henry. Was therefore to four cylinders in line but, relative to the engine ancestor, had a displacement greater, for the accuracy 4,525 cm ³. This new capacity was determined by the increase in stroke, which passed 140 to 150 mm. The bore was instead of 98 mm. Like its predecessor, it was a side-valve. The crankshaft was bound by five main bearings. It was installed on a single Zenith carburetor. This engine produced 90hp at 3,000 rpm and was produced in 274 units. This engine "E" was designed by Laurence Pomeroy.
In November 1922 it was announced the upgrade of the engine. The engine was now OHV and was referred to as "OE". The ride back to the original values â€‹â€‹of the motor of Prince Henry, and then the displacement was reduced to 4,225 cm ³. The power, therefore, decreased by 30%. The low-end torque, however, was improved. At the same time, were also increases the size of the car body, and from what he received more space and greater comfort for the passengers. Of this engine were produced 313 copies. The project of the new engine "OE" was instead made by Clarence Evelyn King.
The two engines were mounted on a subframe mounted on the main frame. The suspensions were semi-elliptical leaf spring on all four wheels, and they were installed, which is at the front of the rear axle, the shock absorbers. Was mounted in the rear instead of a rigid axle. The four-speed gearbox was, while the steering was worm.
The brakes were drum and acted through a pedal on the transmission. The parking brake is operated instead on the rear wheels. The brakes acting on the front wheels were available from 1923; beginning operated via a twin, but in 1926 became plumbers. These brakes were joined, however, to those who acted on the transmission. In 1927 the entire brake system was replaced by a similar system, but fully hydraulic.
The sale price in 1919 was 1,125 pounds.
The last specimen of 30-98 was produced in 1927. Later models had an engine that it distributed 120hp power at 3500 rpm.
By 1920, the 30-98 was able to build a good reputation as well as race cars. Later, with the introduction of the OE engine, the model was able to exceed 100mph (160km/h) and this had repercussions in the races.
After the end of World War I, as the Vauxhall did not have a very organized racing department, the 30-98 did not participate in more competitions under the banner of the official car. Instead had success with private stables.