The Price Henry was a car produced by Vauxhall 1911-1914. Officially, the model name was C-Type.
The car’s name derives from the participation of the model to the Prinz-Heinrich-Fahrt, a race that was dedicated to Prince Henry of Prussia. After participating in the competition, sales of copies of the car significantly improved products for civilian use, and then the model was nicknamed "Prince Henry". The Prince Henry took part as a result of other races, including the St. Petersburg-Sevastopol, and so two copies of the model were sold to Tsar Nicholas II of Russia. As a consequence were opened, with good results, even Vauxhall dealers in Moscow. These stores were later closed because of the Russian Revolution.
The Price Henry was, in essence, a high-performance version of the A-Type Vauxhall, which was designed in the winter of 1907/1908 by Laurence Pomeroy. The engine, of Prince Henry, who was mounted on the front, was a four-cylinder in-line and initially had a displacement of 3,054 cm ³. It it distributed 60hp and was side-valve. In 1913, the engine displacement was increased to 3,969cc, and the power which grew to 75hp. The bore and stroke were passed, respectively, from 90 to 95 mm, and from 120 mm to 140 mm. The block was made of cast iron and the ignition was magnet. It was only installed a Zenith carburetor. The cooling system included a fan, and the water was circulated in the radiator thanks to a pump driven by a leather belt. The gearbox was a four-speed gearbox and the drive was back.
The dimensions and weight were dependent on the model and type of bodywork installed. The Prince Henry is often defined as the first sports car ever built. This primacy, however, it contends with the Vauxhall 20hp, which was introduced in 1908, and the Austro-Daimler 27/80PS, which was designed by Ferdinand Porsche.
The engine of a 1912 Prince Henry
The driver’s seat of a 1912 Prince Henry