Ford Thames 400E
The Ford Thames 400E was a pickup truck from Ford of Britain, which was produced in Dagenham UK and Ford Denmark in Copenhagen from 1957. Total to September 1965 187.000 units were built. Successor was the Ford Transit II developed for the whole of Europe in England and the Ford World Headquarters in Dearborn
Mid-1950s, Ford of Britain was far behind the competition in the commercial market. In addition to the trucks Fordson Thames ET was the only reliable, but outdated Fordson E83W 1938 on offer. The competition, however, at that time offered to successfully modern minivans such as the Morris J-type, the Bedford CA or Trojan-1,5-ton van.
Therefore, a modernization program was approved for the 1957 Ford Thames Trader Truck and below which the forward-control vans Thames 400E with 0.6 to 1.5 tons payload carried. These models were based on a classic truck ladder frame. First, a panel van appeared with 600 or 800kg payload and a chassis with full cab, which enabled with box 5.1 mÓ load volume. Later was also a box body model with up to 11.8 mÓ load volume available. Furthermore, there was a chassis with windshield for various constructions. When driving the 1703cc OHV engine from the Ford Consul together with the associated 3-speed transmission with synchronized 2nd and 3rd gear, which was built between the front seats served. Here, however, a lower compression (6.9:1) than in Consul (7.8:1) was chosen, whereby an output of 53hp (39 kW) was achieved at an engine speed of 4400 rpm (the consul made 60PS/44 kW). A little later the minibus that looked at first glance like a van with windows, but differed in the execution of the side walls appeared. The bus version had an openable forward side door with herausklappbarer tread, in contrast to the conventional side door of the van. There were the Van minibuses called with 8 to 12 seats. The Deluxe Estate Van version had chrome bumper horns and trim, ashtrays, Map pockets, a two-tone interior and exterior design and desire whitewall tires, which was not common at that time. With the launch of the Van version of the Thames 400E also received a 1.6-liter diesel engine with 42hp (31 kW) of Perkins Engines.
From the outset there were left-hand drive versions for the European continent, but was where most but resorted to the FK in 1000 from German production. In the former EFTA country Denmark, however, the British Ford models were popular. The Copenhagen Ford factory developed and even built his own version of the Thames with an extended wheelbase. Not all of the Thames 400E was known as such, but was, for example, in Finland or Australia the name Thames Express Bus oder Thames Freighter.
From 1961 there was a flatbed with side flaps made of wood or steel.
In January 1963, a improved version of the 1703cc petrol engine followed with 55hp (41 kW) and low compression for regular gasoline as well as with higher compression and 58hp (43 kW) for premium gasoline. At the same time, a synchronized four-speed manual transmission was standard and optional was a rear axle differential lock can be ordered.
After the Ford D-series was introduced in Europe in March 1965, all commercial vehicle models received the Ford name and the 400E appeared with a Ford-brand name instead of the Thames-lettering on the front. In September 1965, ended the production of the 400E. In its place came the Ford Transit, which since 1963 under the code name Redcap had been developed.