Austin A50 Cambridge
The A50 Cambridge was dall’Austin car produced from 1954 to 1957 in 114 867 copies.
Introduced in September 1954, the model had the same car body of the contemporary A40 Cambridge and owned a line forms with rounded enough. This feature resembled the first examples of the A55 Cambridge, which was placed on the market as a result. The last specimens of the latter and the A60 Cambridge had rather a different line, which was born from the pencil of Pininfarina. The name of Cambridge was previously used for an exhibition dell’Austin 10. The A50 Cambridge had good sales volumes and was marketed in one version, four-door sedan. Like its predecessor the A40 Somerset, the A50 Cambridge was also built under license by Nissan in Japan. This agreement ended in 1959.
The model had installed a four-cylinder in-line 1,489cc displacement. The engine was part of the B-Series engine BMC. This was the company that owned the trademark Austin. The power output was 50hp, and had installed a brand Zenith carburetor.
The DeLuxe version had the heating system, leather seats, new carpet, replacing the previous ones made of rubber, mounted armrests on the doors, the two-tone horn, sun visor on the passenger side and many chrome parts, including bolts.
Among the options offered there was a Borg-Warner overdrive ratios for the three highest gear, which was a four-speed transmission, and a semi-automatic gearbox. The latter did not have much luck with shoppers.
In October of 1956 were introduced for updates, including the smaller wheels of 330 mm and a higher compression ratio (8,3:1).
The radio and clock were offered as an option.
A copy DeLuxe version was tested by The Motor magazine in 1955. Were recorded a top speed of 118.4km/h and acceleration from 0 to 97km/h in 28.8 seconds. The fuel consumption was 10.1 L/100km. The model used in the test cost 720 pounds including taxes.