Austin A110 Westminster
Westminster was a series of cars produced dall’Austin 1954-1968 101 634 copies in total.
The models were sold in two versions, sedan and familiar, both with four doors. The first series, the A90, the A70 Hereford replaced in 1954. Westminster Other generations were the A95, the A99, the A105 and the A110. The latter was replaced dall’Austin 3-Litre in 1968. Were also produced versions designed by Pininfarina under the brands Vanden Plas and Wolseley through a marketing strategy known as badge-engineering. The dall’Austin name Westminster was previously used in the thirties for certain versions of its models.
The Austin A90 Six Westminster was introduced at the London Motor Show of 1954, together with the small Austin A40 Cambridge. The model had installed a new six-cylinder in-line belonging to the C-Series of BMC, with brand Zenith carburetor and engine capacity of 2,639cc. This power unit delivered 85hp of power. The suspensions were independent; the front ones were formed by coil springs and wishbones, while the rear crossbows, a rigid axle and a roll bar. The four-speed manual gearbox was possessed and the three higher gears synchronized. Since 1955, the overdrive was offered as an option.
The model was produced in one body style, four-door sedan. The engine was the front, while the traction was back. The A90 Six Westminster was manufactured in the factory in Longbridge, England, and Sydney, Australia.
The interior was leather on the DeLuxe version, and PVC on that standard. The car was equipped with a bench front seat divisible, which was adjustable to allow you to accommodate three passengers. If travelers were only two, and they were transported on a car with preparation DeLuxe, it was possible to lower the folding armrest, which was positioned on a side of each place, even if the rear. The parking brake was installed under the dashboard, more precisely on the right side of the steering column, where it was also mounted the shift lever. They were also available in specimens that had installed the shift lever on the floor. The heating system was offered as standard on the DeLuxe version, while it was available as an option on the standard version.
The magazine The Motor felt a specimen of Austin Westminster DeLuxe sedan in 1955. Were recorded a top speed of 137.9km/h and acceleration from 0 to 97km/h in 18.8 seconds. The fuel consumption was 14 L/100km. The model used in the test cost £ 834 including taxes.
A90 The name was previously used for dall’Austin the Atlantic, which was produced from 1949 to 1952.
Front view of a A90 Westminster
Rear view of an A90 Westmins
Side view of an A90 Westmins
Front view of a A90 Westmins
In May 1956 it was announced the successor to the A90 Six Westminster, whose first series remained in production for a short time. The new model, which was called the A105 was powered by a six-cylinder in-line 2.6 L engine, which was part of the BMC C-Series, here in its dual SU carburetor and with a power of 102 CV. The transmission with overdrive was standard. Of this first series were produced a few copies, and now, those survivors are extremely rare.
In October 1956, the body dell’A105 was lengthened, and the overdrive became standard. The pitch went from 2,642 mm to 2,692 mm, while the length from 4,318 mm to 4,597 mm. The width and height remained unchanged, respectively, to 1,626 mm and 1,549 mm. The automatic transmission was offered as an option. They were also standard double fog lights, the heating system and circles specific, but the radio remained optional. Regarding aesthetics, were introduced to the two-tone paint and tires with white sidewalls.
In the fall of 1956 was launched the updated version of the A90, which was called A95. Apart from the higher power of the inline six-cylinder engine (92hp 85hp against what dell’A90) maintained that, however, the same displacement of 2.6 L, there was another difference compared all’A90: the In fact, the model was also offered with bodywork family. Were available and the overdrive automatic transmission, and it was a novelty for British cars of the time.
Both the A95 to the A105 were produced until 1959. When the two models went into production, the name "Westminster" was deleted from the name of the cars, and the two models were marketed only with the alphanumeric abbreviation. Strangely, instruction manuals sedan reported yet the words "Westminster". The family version was instead called "Countryman". Despite this, many fans refer to the model with the nome Â“WestminsterÂ”.
A version object of badge engineering dell’A95 which was equipped with a different grille, a different set-up and new front seat bench, was sold in Australia from 1957 to 1960 as Marshal Morris.
Un’A105 was tested by The Motor magazine in 1956. During the test were recorded a top speed of 155km/h and acceleration from 0 to 97km/h in 15.4 seconds. The fuel consumption was 12.8 L/100km. The model used in the test cost £ 1,109 including taxes.
The two models were manufactured in the factory in Longbridge, England, and Sydney, Australia. The A95 was produced only in four-door sedan, while the A105 was marketed with bodywork family four-door. For both models, the engine was front, while the rear-wheel drive was. The engines of both models belong to the C-Series BMC.
Dell’A95 28,065 copies were produced, while dell’A105 came off the assembly 6,770 cars.
One of the first examples dell’A105 (1956)
The back of an A105 (1956)
The backside of an A95
Un’A105 second series (1957)
The back of an A105 (1957)
Un’A105 with elongated body car of 1956
The A105 was the first car to be mass-Austin was the subject of the work of coachbuilder Vanden Plas, and followed the success of the Austin Princess limousine A135. The appeal Vanden Plas was an idea which had Leonard Lord in 1957. Changes included a new interior and a gray stripe applied on the side that was accompanied by a crown.
Detail of un’A105 Vanden Plas
Un’A105 Vanden Plas
The inscription on the tail of an A105
The back of un’A105 Vanden Plas
The A99 Westminster was launched in 1959. Had a car body that was the result of the work of Pininfarina, who also designed the line of the A40 and the A60 Cambridge sold a year earlier. The engine, which was part of the class C-Series of BMC, was derived from the one installed on Austin-Healey 3000; This engine was a six-cylinder in-line, had a displacement of 2,912 cm ³ and it distributed in the version for Westminster, 103hp power.
It was a series of three-synchromesh manual transmission with overdrive Borg-Warner. It was also available with an optional automatic transmission always the Borg-Warner. One of the novelties was installed on the front wheels with disc brakes 273 mm servo.
Un’A99 sedan with automatic transmission was tested by the British magazine The Motor in 1960. During the test was recorded a top speed of 157.9km/h and acceleration from 0 to 97km/h in 17.9 seconds. The fuel consumption was 12.3 L/100km. The model used in the test cost 1,219 pounds.
The model was built in the factory in Longbridge, England, and Sydney, Australia. It was produced in only one version, four-door sedan. The engine was the front, while the traction was back.
A special version was sold as dell’A99 Princess 3-Litre (Note that lacks the name "Austin" suffixed to the name of the car: the name of the car was in fact taken in August 1957 with the Princess IV), and subsequently under the brand Vanden Plas as Vanden Plas Princess. It was also produced a version of the Wolseley, the 6/99. Production ceased in 1961 with the launch of the A110.
A total of A99 Westminster, 15 162 copies were produced
A major review of Westminster was the one that led to the launch dell’A110 Westminster in 1961. This version had a longer wheelbase 51 mm, which allowed more space for rear passengers and a greater roadholding. The gear lever was mounted on the floor and the engine, belonging to the C-Series of BMC, was a six-cylinder in-line and had a capacity of 2.9 L. In 1964, the wheels were provided with a different diameter. The Produced a version Wolseley 6/110 which was based on this model, and the Vanden Plas did the same with the Vanden Plas Princess Mark II. The latter had an engine belonging to the C-Series, which produced an almighty power of 120hp. The same car body was used for the Vanden Plas Princess 4 Litre R, which was motorized Rolls Royce, and was the basis of a prototype built by Bentley.
The A110 was built in the factory in Longbridge, England, and was marketed with only one body style, four-door sedan. The engine was the front, while the traction was back. The exchange rates available were two, four-speed manual with the three highest gear synchronized, and automatic Borg-Warner three reports.
The latest model of the Westminster family was finally replaced dall’Austin 3-Litre in 1968.
Front view of un’Austin A110 Westminster
The tail of un’Austin A110 Westminster
Rear view of un’Austin A110 Westminster