Alvis TD 21
The T-21 Series is a series of vehicles from the British company Alvis that was produced in different variations from 1950 to 1967. It was the last car series of Alvis.
The Alvis TA 21 was published in 1950 as a successor to the Alvis TA 14
The car had a six cylinder OHV engine with 2993cc capacity with 1 SU carburettor 83hp (61 kW). The new, slightly longer and wider chassis could be provided with different constructions in turn, such as a 4-door sedan or 2-door convertible. Even the cars were in the traditional pre-war style kept (curved fenders, running boards and rear-hinged front doors). Only the previously free-standing headlights were integrated. The rear axles is suspended from semi-elliptical leaf springs, the front suspension had coil springs. The top speed of about 138km/h The cars were also available with a more powerful engine with two SU carburetors and 93hp (68 kW) available, and then drove 143km/h fast. 1953, the type TA 21 was replaced by the Type TC 21/100.
At the same time they brought the successor of the Roadster Alvis TB 14, the Alvis TB 21, out on the chassis of the model TA 21. He had strengthened the same machine as the TA 21 with one carburetor, but at 95hp (70 kW). On the body of its predecessor, there were some little changes, only the kidney-shaped radiator grille was replaced by a more conventional, narrower model. The top speed was 161km/h (100 miles/hour). In 1953, the Production of the Roadster set without successors.
The Alvis TC 21/100 replaced the Model TA 21, 1953. Instead of the previous disc wheels with hubcaps now had spoked wheels with central locking. The "100" in the model name indicates the new engine performance, which was achieved with two SU carburettors; there were 100hp (74 kW). This number can also refer to the speed limit; 100mph (161km/h) could also be achieved with this sporty sedan. This model was manufactured until 1956.
The successor was named Alvis TC 21/108G and was introduced in 1955. The car presented externally a major development step is because Alvis parted with this vehicle at last from the previous, now clearly outdated body design. The traditional English sedan form gave way to a new pontoon body without running boards and front-hinged doors. The new pontoon body was designed by Car body Graber, who as since 1948 Swiss general agent worked for Alvis and also owned a body shop. Graber had dressed for private clients since 1950 Alvis chassis; 1955 took over Alvis Graber’s design for the plant bodies.
The TC 21/108G gave it as a two-door saloon, which had as a special feature a rear panoramic window, and as a two-door convertible. The engine output increased to 104hp (76.5 kW) and the top speed to 166km/h
The TC 21/108G appeared only a year after the production of the T21 had been discontinued. Reason for this delay were problems with the body shop. The previous bodies of Alvis models had been produced by the body shop Mulliner in Birmingham. The collaboration ended when the company was bought end of 1954 by the British vehicle manufacturer standards. For about a year Alvis introduced then the production of vehicles, until a new Body manufacturer was found: The British bus manufacturer Willowbrook, which had its own body shop should produce from the autumn of 1955, the bodies of TC21/108G entirely by hand. By 1958, created a total of 16 or 17 cars whose price was about 3,500 British Pund. Thus, the Alvis was one of the most expensive British cars of the 1950s. An Aston Martin DB2/4 Mk II, which was significantly faster, cost almost 3,000 British Pounds, and even a Bristol 404 was £ 300 cheaper.
During the year 1958, the body manufacturer Willowbrook was sold. Alvis introduced then the production of motor vehicles again temporarily.
Successor to the TC 21/108G was the Alvis TD 21, which was introduced in October 1958. His body was once again designed by Hermann Graber and has now been made by Park Ward in license since 1939 to a Rolls-Royce belonging coachbuilding company from Willesden in London. The factory was offered a two-door saloon and a convertible version. The exterior design of the body had not changed much; from the previous differed the TD21 Saloon especially by a conventional C-pillar, which waived the panoramic windscreen previously used. The Alvis TD21 was in style and technology a conservative, low-key car. Between 1958 and 1964 a total of 1,070 copies were produced. However Alvis lost in the course of the 1960s increasingly gaining ground. As a special problem proved to be the engine performance. Lens it was adequate; the direct competitors such as AC, Bristol and Jensen could However, increasingly offer more power, since they were temporarily switched to American eight-cylinder engines. Therefore, sales of Alvis gradually subsided.
The TD21 was built 1958-1964 in two series, which differed technically and visually slightly:
In addition to the work of bodies Hermann Graber introduced in Switzerland on customer numerous special constructions ago; the annual production was about half a dozen vehicles. Based on the TD 21 Mk.2 two or three four-door sedans emerged called Sport Sedan with strong abgewandeltem style.
The 1964 Alvis TE 21 was presented in some advertisements also called "Alvis Three Litre Series III". This designation is not unjustified, for the TE 21 was an evolution of TD 21 Mk 2 The new car corresponded technically and optically largely the previous model. Externally, the TE 21 was to recognize stacked dual headlights, a design element that used Hermann Graber for years with his special bodies. The TE 21 also received factory steel disc wheels with hubcaps, which replaced the spoked wheels of the earlier models. Engine and road performances were again increased to 130hp (96 kW), or 180km/h Again Graber offered some special bodies. The weight of the car increased to 1580 Kg. Between autumn 1964 and autumn of 1966, 355 copies of the TE emerged 21
In 1966 the last model of the Alvis TF 21 series, which was referred to in a prospectus as "Alvis Series IV". The vehicles were now again equipped with spoke wheels. The engine – still the same as the model TA 21 of 1950 – had now equipped with three SU carburettors, so that a maximum output of 150hp (110 kW) was achieved. This allowed a top speed of 193km/h
In 1967 the production of the series – and thus the entire car production by Alvis – finally ceased. The TF 21 was prepared in a total of 106 copies. The last car produced in August 1967 received in the factory of an eight-cylinder Rover.